Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Expired Film

Rather than only showing shots I've taken with expired film, I thought it would be interesting to post pictures of the actual film. The boxes are pretty interesting, and many of these companies aren't around today. I use the film, though most of these are still unopened. I feel like I have to make them last "just in case," though there does seem to be plenty of expired film on the Web. I pay anywhere from $2 to $6 US per roll. Enjoy!

Kodak Brownie 120, Date unknown, probably from the 1930s.


I have two rolls of this. I used one and only one shot really showed anything of interest. If I shoot the second roll, it will be in a very bright, high contrast situation. This was shot in a Fujipet.



Ansco Plenachrome 620, expired February 1952.


Kodak Plus-X 127, expired February 1953. I haven't used these yet.


Ilford FP3 620, expired December 1957.


I shot one of these rolls last weekend. Works very well, I think. Has a nice pitted surface. I used an Ansco Panda.



Ansco All-Weather Pan 120, expired July 1959.


Wena 620, expired June 1963.


High grain, but little corrosion. Shot with a Fujipet, in a hurry I guess (the blur).



Rex 620, expired December 1963.


Rex 127, expired April 1965.


Shot with a Kodak Brownie Holiday.



Perfect Pan 620, expired August 1968.


Shot this roll through a Argoflex Seventy-Five.



Polaroid Colorpack Type 108, expired November 1975. I tried to use it, but the developer was bone dry. Smelled bad, too. At least I have a pretty box.


Kodak Verichrome Pan 620, expired March 1968.


Shot with a Fujipet.



I can't really read the logo, but I think it's Mc'on? But it's Fuji 126 film, expired November 1981. I've used one roll in a plastic Yogi Bear camera, but haven't developed it yet.


Kodacolor-X 620, expired July 1975.

I found out that it's really expensive and takes up to six months to get Kodacolor-X developed, so I just used D-76 for I think 20 minutes. Shot with a Brownie Hawkeye Flash.


Kodacolor II 620, expired May 1984.


Fuji Neopan, found in a Fujipet, expiration date unknown.

There was only one shot on the roll that I could tell was a photograph, because of the edges. I have no idea what it is, but it looks interesting!



I'm always looking for more expired film. Every roll does something different...I enjoy the unpredictability. I'll post more as I buy and shoot!

22 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:13 PM

    A very cool project you have. Thank you showing the boxes and rolls that the film came in, it adds quite a bit to the photos. I hope you don't mine, I blogged your work tonight. I especially like the photo taken at the Chinese center.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks! yeah, time to delete 'anonymous' and his 3 spams.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous4:19 PM

    i have five 126 color cartridges i'll send you if interested. i shot a few with hopes of processing in caffeinol, but i can't get past that nasty black layer: expired 04/95(2), 04/91(1), and two mystery cartridges. email me via F'r if you want 'em.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice photos!

    I wonder why some companies don't pull stock off their warehouse floor with in mind to allow it to expire and later sell it? We would buy, they would sell.

    ReplyDelete
  5. bloody shame... belongs in a museum ,... it does

    ReplyDelete
  6. brilliant work, where do you get your film from?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi! I love your blog... Did you have any luck shooting that Type 108 Polaroid film? I want to buy some that expired in 1988 but am not sure it will do anything... Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. lovely haunting shots.

    but do you often find that the film has produced nothing? i'm hoping to get some expired film and want some results! do you think it's directly linked to the age of the film so something from the 70s is more likely to produce something?

    thanks

    ReplyDelete
  9. i've never had film that produces nothing at all... i always get some kind of image. color film just tends to get grainy and bw film gets lots of spots. film from the 70s should be no problem, just more faded. age is a factor, of course, but also how it was stored.

    ReplyDelete
  10. thanks! that makes me feel better...cool and dry storage I believe. been having a look at your blog and it's brilliant, really interesting to walk through the steps of your experimentation with you, and seeing the actual films themselves too!

    take care

    ReplyDelete
  11. thanks! that makes me feel better...cool and dry storage I believe. been having a look at your blog and it's brilliant, really interesting to walk through the steps of your experimentation with you, and seeing the actual films themselves too!

    take care

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey, not sure when this was posted, but I just grabbed a Brownie Reflex 20 and an Ansco Speedex 4.5, 620 and 120 respectively. I shoot B&W mostly, but wanna try color slide and process at home, with d-76 or t-max developer. What do you think are the chances of making something interesting, and what advice do you have?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great blog...

    I recently got back from a trip down the West coast of the USA and picked up an Instamatic 104 from a thrift store but later found out you cant get film...is this true? i have head you can make other film fit inside but if you know any ways i can breath life into the old beast please let me know. My email add is samson83@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. i've never gotten 35mm film to work in a 126 camera. tried, but no go. film is the same size, but sprocket holes are different. and a 35mm cartridge won't fit in a 126 camera...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous5:17 PM

    Hey

    I know I'm about 4 years overdue to post a reply to this, but what the heck. I've been given a roll of Kodak Plus X with an expiration date of 1946. I'm hoping for interesting results and a very bright day for shooting! Film was still sealed in its box and wax sealed metal container. Sad I know, but I almost yelped when she handed it over. I've worked with expired film before, but nothing like this old. Anyways just wanted to share that with people who I think might even be half interested on a blog that was written 4 years ago...

    Claire

    ReplyDelete
  16. good luck! i can't believe this post is almost 4 years old...

    try diafine when developing...easy and almost always yields something. and, yeah, lots of sun and contrast when shooting!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anonymous2:58 PM

    Ta for the tip there. I do have a really good lab though so may hand it over to their expert hands as I am by no means an expert, just an enthusiastic amateur. Bright day and London I'm thinking for this. I shall prepare myself in advance for disappointment, but damn I really hope something comes out. Last expired film I did was in a Diana around Camden and they were delicious shots. That was only 10 years out of date though, so a mere baby compared to this one!

    Claire

    ReplyDelete
  18. I really liked the shot of the girl! Better than boxes LOL

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is great moominsean !
    I'm about to process a 1960 Kodak ISO1600 using Rodinal... any suggestions ?
    Many thanks...

    ReplyDelete
  20. What lovely, creepy images came out! I stumbled upon your blog looking for some help with my own Ansco All-Weather. I will definitely be visiting again.

    I have no idea where to go to process my film, and to ship it away to get done will cost me (from what I've seen so far) $40/film and up! I'm not too interested in getting the tools to develop only three films - nor do I trust my starter abilities with this old of film - any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
  21. Anonymous8:00 PM

    I just inherited an English Brownie Flash II with two rolls of 'new' (ie unopened box) C620 film. You are not going to believe this but one box was to be developed by 05/1984. Has the same cat number as well. Only difference between yours and mine is that mine has a sticker on the side:
    PLEASE NOTE - IMPORTANT
    The words set out on the insert under the heading 'READ THIS NOTICE' or 'IMPORTANT NOTICE' as the case may be, do not exclude any condition or warranty implied by the Trade Practices Act 1974 or any applicable State laws.
    Prepared for the market by
    Kodak (Australasia Pty. Ltd., Melbourne, Australia.
    L2-D

    The other roll expires in 1985.
    Do you have photos using this film. Would be interested in seeing what they look like. Cheers. Marjorie

    ReplyDelete
  22. Fantastic.
    I use modern film in my 1920s box cameras.
    I use them at vintage themed events so its hard to see they are actually made recently.
    I'd LOVE to try some original 1920s-30s film in those cameras!
    Where do you get that?

    ReplyDelete